Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nfarishta

I requested a payment plan just now when I submitted my taxes, but in my tax return documents I saw 1040 ES payment vouchers... what are these for? Why so many?

How do I know what I need to pay and when? Are the dates on these vouchers arbitrary?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

I requested a payment plan just now when I submitted my taxes, but in my tax return documents I saw 1040 ES payment vouchers... what are these for? Why so many?

The payment plan would be for current (or past) taxes due.

The 1040-ES payment vouchers would be for your 2017 estimated tax payments. If you’re at risk for an underpayment penalty next year, based on your 2016 information, Turbo Tax will automatically calculate estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers for you.The dates on those vouchers are not arbitrary, they are due each quarter and the due dates are printed on the vouchers. There should be four vouchers...one for each quarter.

Estimated taxes are highly recommended but not required.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PeterM

The payment plan would be for current (or past) taxes due.

The 1040-ES payment vouchers would be for your 2017 estimated tax payments. If you’re at risk for an underpayment penalty next year, based on your 2016 information, Turbo Tax will automatically calculate estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers for you.The dates on those vouchers are not arbitrary, they are due each quarter and the due dates are printed on the vouchers. There should be four vouchers...one for each quarter.

Estimated taxes are highly recommended but not required.

nfarishta

So these are for taxes I would owe in 2017?  Basically to help me pay them as I go? They're not related to what I owe for 2016?
PeterM

That is correct. You couldn't have set up a payment plan to pay taxes on income you have not even earned yet. The vouchers are for 2017 estimated taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies