turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The only question I see is no one can claim spouse as dependent but her sister claimed her as a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The only question I see is no one can claim spouse as dependent but her sister claimed her as a dependent.

Here's a couple screen shots I made.  Will these help?

View solution in original post

9 Replies

And you should have added this on to your first question.  Otherwise it gets confusing.

Here's a couple screen shots I made.  Will these help?

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Since you are filing separately, select "None of the above" on that screen. 

[edited 03.11.2019 I 3:15pm]

The only question I see is No one can claim spouse as their dependent for 2018

Why did your spouse's sister claim her as a dependent? If you are filing a married filing jointly tax return for any reason other than to get a refund of taxes withheld, no one else is allowed to claim your spouse as a dependent on their tax return.  If they did, they will have to file an amended return to remove your spouse as a dependent. You will have to print and mail your return to get it accepted.

I’m filing Married filing Separately but it has been rejected twice.

What is the specific reason for rejection?

Spouse claim as a dependent is not checked than the spouse SSN must not be the same as a dependent SSN on another return.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

On that screen select "None of the above"
Please see screenshot in updated answer above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies