turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vls1819

My income and expenses are basically the same from 2017 and 2018 but I'm getting a pretty big difference. I believe I'm doing everything correctly. Help please

Rental Income and expenses
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My income and expenses are basically the same from 2017 and 2018 but I'm getting a pretty big difference. I believe I'm doing everything correctly. Help please

The most common reasons people with income and expenses that are similar from 2017 to 2018 are different are

1. When the new law was passed many employers lowered the employee withholdings to match the new tax laws. This means you may have seen a few extra dollars in your weekly paycheck. Compare box 2 of your W2 from last year to this year or line 17 on your 1040 this year to taxes withheld on your 1040 form from last year (the line will depend on your form)
  2. Itemized deductions are less due to changes in the law limiting the deduction for state and local taxes to $10,000 and the elimination of Employee business expenses and other miscellaneous expenses
  3. Elimination of Personal Exemptions.  Generally, a single person or married couple with no kids that did not itemize is making out better here, but others are not. 
  4. You have kids and one of them turned 17.  This would make them ineligible for the child tax credit and only give you the $500 Other Dependent Credit for your child.

Overall, everyone has a different situation.  The best way to figure out why your refund is different this year is to look at your 1040 for last year and compare it to this year.  You will need to look at the words on the line and the schedules as the forms have totally changed this year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies