turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgraen

I show over $44,000 on my deductions and credits. You say I only have $12,000 something. Will someone to go over the deductions and credits with me individually?

My deductions/credits are:

Mortgage Interest            $11,739

Property Taxes                     $4,303

Donations to Charity          $7,448

Car Registration Fees             $187

Medical Expenses             $13,787

Other Income Taxes           $6,615

Job Related Expenses            $848

Tax Preparation Fees               $65

Legal Fees                                  $273

$45,265

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I show over $44,000 on my deductions and credits. You say I only have $12,000 something. Will someone to go over the deductions and credits with me individually?

Other income taxes might include Soc Sec and Medicare taxes. Those are not deductible.

Some of your deductions are limited.  This year deductions are changing and several will be limited.  There is a max 10,000 limit of State, local, property, and sales tax (SALT) deduction.  And employee job expenses have been suspended.  You can only deduct Medical/Dental that's over 7.5% of your AGI.

FAQ on 2018 changes https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

Deductions that have been suspended for 2018
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

Are you using the Desktop program?  If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A there are 2 ways to check.

You can switch to Forms Mode and open A from the top of the left column Open Form and pick schedule A out of the list on the right side.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing".  Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...

Be sure to indicate that the mortgage was secured by the property.
jgraen

the mortgage was secured by the property
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies