turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cob716740

Why did turbo tax take my money and say they were doing my tax return and not file my return? what the [profanity} is this fraud , im bout to report to police

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why did turbo tax take my money and say they were doing my tax return and not file my return? what the [profanity} is this fraud , im bout to report to police

Calm down.  What tax year are you referring to?  Just paying the TurboTax fees does not file your tax return. You have to actually go all the way through the FILE section and click a big orange button that says "Transmit Return Now."  If you did not do that, your return was not filed.  Or if you filed it and it was rejected, then you need to follow up by fixing it and re-sending it.  What really happened?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Calm down.  What tax year are you referring to?  Just paying the TurboTax fees does not file your tax return. You have to actually go all the way through the FILE section and click a big orange button that says "Transmit Return Now."  If you did not do that, your return was not filed.  Or if you filed it and it was rejected, then you need to follow up by fixing it and re-sending it.  What really happened?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cob716740

i did for 2017 and i went through all of that and it said it failed and cant go through until the 29th but something dont feel right
cob716740

everybody is able to file taxes now

The IRS will not begin accepting tax returns until January 29,  There have been a few returns for a "test batch" that have either been accepted or rejected ahead of that date.  If you received an email saying your return was rejected then what else does it say?  What reason does it give for the rejection?

cob716740

i didnt get a email saying it was rejected , i got confirmation that i paid already and it just said it couldnt transmit and they would see me back on the 29th, so does that mean next week i can transmit it and im already paid up ahead of time? i hope so

Good grief.  Yes,  you have paid for your TurboTax fees.  Try to e-file again in a few days.  You got yourself all worked up over nothing,

Although TurboTax is accepting some e-filed returns now they are NOT being e-filed to the IRS which will not process any return until January 29.   TurboTax stores those returns filed early until the IRS opens for business,  only then will you get an e-mail telling you if the return was accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Only the simplest returns can be transmitted to TurboTax now.    Many forms will not be finalized until Jan 25 and some later then that.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...>

Why does TurboTax allow early filing?  Because their competitors do - It is a marketing ploy.

Filing early with TurboTax before the IRS opens on Jan 29 is a really BAD IDEA.

1) If you discover something that is wrong on your return, receive a W-2 that is different, receive some other tax document that was not on the return that you filed then there is NOTHING that you can do about it other than wait to see if the IRS accepts or rejects the return after Jan 29.  If rejected you can correct and file again, but if accepted then the only remedy is to amend which can take 4 months to process.

2) You must remember to check back after Jan 29 (or check for an e-mail) to confirm that the IRS has accepted or rejected the return.  If rejected, then it was never filed at all and must be corrected and re-filed.  Every year many taxpayers that file early, forget to check back and only discover months later that they never actually filed because if was rejected by the IRS but they had forgotten about checking back after filing with TurboTax.

3) While the IRS does conduct some pre-Jan 29 polling tests and does accept some returns early, they will not process those until Jan 29.  There is a reason to test and that is to discover any problems with it's systems.  A couple of years ago a test went bad and several thousand "test" returns were lost.   The IRS was able to recover those but it delayed refunds for some by months.

There is no real advantage to file before the IRS opens on Jan 29, but there are disadvantages to do so.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Manage cookies