Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbird13

The irs says I still owe money when I used the Turbotax app. Does your app not work properly or is this an error on the IRS's part?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

The irs says I still owe money when I used the Turbotax app. Does your app not work properly or is this an error on the IRS's part?

Absent any details on your situation, TurboTax can only compute the tax liability based on what you have entered. Assuming that you entered all items of income  and deductions correctly ( i.e. entered at the correct place ), TurboTax's figure should be within rounding errors . When IRS says you owe money , it could be due to various reasons --- assuming that you are talking about 2015 tax year, the letter from the IRS should be telling you where the IRS disagrees ( could be because you did not report and income or reported under different heading, could be disallowance of a credit, could be error in reporting amounts withheld etc. etc.  ).  Please  read the letter from the IRS carefully, comapre with the return filed and if you still don't understand or disagree with the IRS' position, call the  number shown on the top right hand corner of the first page of the notice.   Also note that you have only 30 days from the date of the notice ( not from the day received) -- thereafter IRS will proceed automatically to the next step.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies