Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The "Estimated Tax Payments" field value seems to only be the carryover of my CA State refund from 2017....should it also reflect my quarterly payments aggregate as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The "Estimated Tax Payments" field value seems to only be the carryover of my CA State refund from 2017....should it also reflect my quarterly payments aggregate as well?

Yes, but you'll have to enter them yourself.  While TurboTax may have prepared estimated tax vouchers for you it doesn't "know" if you actually remitted the funds nor when you remitted them.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, but you'll have to enter them yourself.  While TurboTax may have prepared estimated tax vouchers for you it doesn't "know" if you actually remitted the funds nor when you remitted them.

Tom Young

Tom...thanks for your response.  The concern is that I did enter in the quarterly State payments in the fields when I was doing the Federal side of the return....TurboTax asked for both Fed and State estimated payments made, and I entered them.  I worry there is a "bug" in the program...that the carried-forward refund is overlaying my hand-entered information, rather than adding to it.  I tried entering in larger quarterly payments, but it didn't effect the running total of "Tax Owed" on the State side.

I just entered them and it worked OK  (Online Free version).

Had one other person last week who had that same issue...but their "Head Slap" was that they didn't select "California" as the state for each quarterly payment...go re-check that state selection for each of those payments.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Also, in the main Estimates section, there is an "Other Taxes Paid" part where you enter your 2017 state Refund applied to 2018.  Don't put that one in as a Quarterly estimate.  Some people do both (both a rollover, and a separate 1Qtr est) so two separate entries are needed
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies