turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-S for the sale of a right of way that included an amount for damages. How do I report this?

Box 2 showed the total we received and the comments box broke down the amount to show the amount received for the right of way and the amount for damages.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099-S for the sale of a right of way that included an amount for damages. How do I report this?

The easement - Form 1099S: This is the direction to report the proceeds.  The damages were simply to replace the land back to it's original state.  That portion should not be considered later when adjusting/reducing your cost basis.

Generally, you do not report the income for granting an easement.  Only reduce your cost basis in the property by the proceeds received which you will still do because you will not pay tax on this amount if you follow the steps here.

Report the gross proceeds but enter your cost basis as the proceeds, so that your taxable gain is 0.

But because you got a 1099-S, the IRS will be looking for it on your tax return. 

• Enter the 1099-S proceeds as follows:
  • Go to Federal Taxes.
  • Wages and Income.
  • Investment Income.
  • Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click on either Start or Update.
  • Answer NO to Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?
  • Choose 'Land' as the type of investment you sold.
  • Enter the remaining details for the sale your property and continue through the onscreen questions until you get to the 'Enter Cost Information' screen
  • Click the attachment to enlarge and view
Remember to reduce the basis by the amount of the right-of-way payment only.  This basis will be used when you sell the property.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies