turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

betozano

I paid for summer camp for my kids in 2015. last year when I did my tax return I never entered that in my tax form. Could I still use that as an tax exempt for this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I paid for summer camp for my kids in 2015. last year when I did my tax return I never entered that in my tax form. Could I still use that as an tax exempt for this year?

The cost of summer camps are not generally included in child or dependent care credit expenses (this is the situation that came to mind regarding summer camp). However, day camp expenses during summer may be includible in the child care credit (if your child is under the age of 13 years old and meets the other requirements for a qualifying person).

See the following from IRS Publication 503:

Camp .   The cost of sending your child to an overnight camp isn't considered a work-related expense.

The cost of sending your child to a day camp may be a work-related expense, even if the camp specializes in a particular activity, such as computers or soccer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

The cost of summer camps are not generally included in child or dependent care credit expenses (this is the situation that came to mind regarding summer camp). However, day camp expenses during summer may be includible in the child care credit (if your child is under the age of 13 years old and meets the other requirements for a qualifying person).

See the following from IRS Publication 503:

Camp .   The cost of sending your child to an overnight camp isn't considered a work-related expense.

The cost of sending your child to a day camp may be a work-related expense, even if the camp specializes in a particular activity, such as computers or soccer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies