turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added a business and the income earned on that business is not income I personally made. It was strictly income coming into the business. I did not pay myself at all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I added a business and the income earned on that business is not income I personally made. It was strictly income coming into the business. I did not pay myself at all.

the busienss entity characteristics makes a huge difference --to wit:   (a)  single member LLCs are treated ( unless owner chooses to be treated as a s-corp) as a disregarded enitity --- treated just like a sole proprietor business and therefore  reported on schedule-C/C-EZ along with your own return;  (b) multimember LLC, and partnerships are treated as pass through entities -- you file a partnership return and issue K-1s to the  members who then pay the taxes ( partnership pays no taxes  directly ); (c)  C-Corp / S-Corp  work kind of similar except  S-Corp uses a K-1 to when acting as a pass through entity.

Without your entity chracteristics, it is impossible to advise you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

the busienss entity characteristics makes a huge difference --to wit:   (a)  single member LLCs are treated ( unless owner chooses to be treated as a s-corp) as a disregarded enitity --- treated just like a sole proprietor business and therefore  reported on schedule-C/C-EZ along with your own return;  (b) multimember LLC, and partnerships are treated as pass through entities -- you file a partnership return and issue K-1s to the  members who then pay the taxes ( partnership pays no taxes  directly ); (c)  C-Corp / S-Corp  work kind of similar except  S-Corp uses a K-1 to when acting as a pass through entity.

Without your entity chracteristics, it is impossible to advise you.

In order words, except for C-corporations, you pay tax on the profit, regardless if you actually received any money.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies