reachsimonehere

The AGI listed on my Turbo Tax dashboard is WRONG. I can't access the return. How do I resolve this? Turbo Tax promises access to my AGI for no cost.

mesquitebean

@reachsimonehere 

An upgrade from Free Edition to PLUS is 19.99.

Online TurboTax is currently in the November limbo period, which occurs each year after it shuts down after filing season.  Online TurboTax for 2019 opens the first week of December, and you can upgrade a 2019 return to PLUS at that time, which will unlock all prior returns.

Or you can try this:

You can try now and see what happens, but you may need to wait until tomorrow and try the steps during hours when Customer Support is open.   That interface may not be fully functional when they are closed.   But here is a  possible workaround to use when they are open. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Mon-Fri.

Log in, and at the main Tax Home page immediately go to the top right corner and click HELP.   Scroll way down beyond the suggested links and click on CONTACT US.

Choose to phone TurboTax Support, or it may say schedule a callback.

In any case, it may then ask you to pay for PLUS (19.99) to have phone support.

Once paid, then past returns should be unlocked.

It's not clear if during this November limbo period that method pays for 2018 PLUS or 2019 PLUS, but in any case, the net effect is unlocking prior returns, plus it gives you phone support privilege.   If it pays for 2019 PLUS, then you have an extra year of access.   You should be saving a copy of your return and/or PDF each year anyway (in a protected and secured safe place) so you don't have to worry about access problems.

Another option is to download a free 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS if you qualify to open an IRS account.  A transcript by postal mail takes 5-10 days.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Also, if you need a prior return emergently and can't unlock it by that workaround above during business hours, then you can contact TurboTax Support via messaging at Twitter or Facebook, tell them your situation and that you are a victim of the limbo period, and see if they will unlock the returns for you.

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

If you are trying to get your 2017 AGI in order to e-file for 2018, give up.  It is too late to e-file a 2018 return.  E-filing is closed permanently for 2018 returns.  The deadline was October 15, 2019, and if the return was rejected you had until October 20 to correct it and re-file it.  A 2018 return now has to be printed, signed and mailed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

The AGI listed on the dashboard may be corrected once the 2019 online program opens sometime in December after the 2018 returns are archived.  However if you made changes to the return before the 2018 program closed they are now permanent on your file even though they do not affect the return you already filed. 

reachsimonehere

Thanks, but that's not why I need my 2017 AGI.

TurboTax, if you're listening, I just filed a complaint with the BBB because I just spent two hours trying to get customer support for my correct 2017 AGI, as your website promises, without success. Apparently, the free online version I used in 2017 doesn't include a live person to speak with and your automated phone and online "help" doesn't understand that I need my correct AGI. What's listed in my dashboard is my total earnings, not my AGI. I need my 2017 AGI.

reachsimonehere

Thanks for you help, but that's not why I need my 2017 AGI. I just need TurboTax to display the correct information, as promised.

macuser_22

Online 2018 ended on Oct 15, 2019.

TurboTax does not "display" the AGI. It is on your tax return.

See this TurboTax FAQ on how to find your AGI

reachsimonehere

Screen Shot.png

It does "display" you AGI and it says it will for free. This is a screenshot of what I call the dashboard. When I click View AGI it displays my total earned income that year instead of my correct AGI.

macuser_22

If it is not what is on the 1040 line 37 then contact TurboTax customer support. This is a user-to-user discussion forum and nobody here can access your account.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

reachsimonehere

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I've tried the phone number/s and tried the online help center with Q/As, and the the last thing the company's support offered was to submit my problem here to the forum. It seemed it was a forum for customers. I took my last chance at maybe someone else having this happen and found a solution or way to get in touch with a person at TurboTax.

Because I haven't found a solution, I made a formal complaint to BBB. I figure the company will have to help me then? IDK. I EvEn tried 'upgrading' the way their business model leads you to with ordering Plus to just freaking access my whole return from 2017 but I couldn't even get that to work. I never saw a Plus option or the cost for it, but I saw other upgrade options and their prices. It's frustrating and companies, especially ones that service something as important as tax returns, should have better service for their customers.

mesquitebean

@reachsimonehere 

Or you can try this:

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

reachsimonehere

@mesquitebean 

Thank you. This is most helpful. And we (my sweetie and i) like your word emergently. Very nice.

I tried the Contact Us protocol earlier today during business hours. The Contact Us instructions you provided do not work the same way for me. Maybe that's because I'm a free customer and you are not? The company's system also implied but did not state as clearly as you did that by using Contact Us I might find a way to connect to phone support. Since I didn't find that option online (but I was given this forum as a last option) and the phone prompts even said it was checking to see if I qualified for phone support, I figured that support didn't extend to free users. The very frustrating part is that I never saw a way to order Plus. Their system leads you to Plus, but I haven't found a way to order it. It doesn't function the same way for me. Maybe it's part of their downtime. I'm relieved and encouraged that Plus is twenty bucks, though. Thanks so much for passing that along. 

Finally, yes, I should've printed/saved the PDF of my freaking return (argh!!) when I got it. NoTe to you kind people to save at the moment and not put it off. It's a drag. I didn't pay close enough attention to the email confirmation of my return and thus did not notice the expiration date of access the return.

mesquitebean

@reachsimonehere 

Another Free Edition user reported that when they use the steps I mentioned above and choose to phone TurboTax Support, it prompted them to pay the 19.99 in order to have phone privileges, which upgraded them to PLUS and unlocked the prior returns.   But you have to try during the business hours of 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern).    They are closed on weekends.

If you can't use that method, and have an urgent need, then try messaging at Twitter or Facebook at the links I provided.   Or get a 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS.

Otherwise, 2019 online TurboTax will open the first week of December, at which time users can upgrade to PLUS in the usual fashion by starting a 2019 Free Edition return, then upgrading it to PLUS.