turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone explain why my return is over $500 less this year than last year, and my income only increased by $2898?

I do not believe that I am in a higher tax bracket this year. I am single, with one dependent and filing HOH.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can someone explain why my return is over $500 less this year than last year, and my income only increased by $2898?

Without being able to view your return, it's impossible to say exactly what caused your refund to decrease. However, there's a high probability that at least one reason is listed below.

If your refund is wildly off, it's possible you simply mistyped a dollar amount somewhere. An extra digit here, a missing number there, even something as seemingly insignificant as a misplaced decimal point can have an eye-popping effect on your TurboTax refund.

Changes in your income or tax rate

• You (or your spouse) took on an additional job (especially non-wage income which is taxed at the higher self-employment tax rate);
  • Your salary or wages increased but your W-4 stayed the same;
  • You sold investments but didn't take out any taxes from the sale;
  • Your filing status changed from last year;
  • You started receiving Social Security benefits or Roth IRA distributions;
  • You received taxable unemployment income;
  • You had gambling winnings;
  • You're paying a penalty for not having health insurance coverage in 2017.

My income only increased by $2898. My W-4 did stay the same, but would a $2898 increase in salary really effect my return that much? Other than that slight change in salary, I have had zero changes from last year.

The $500 difference is !7% of your increase in income-doesn't seem like an unreasonable difference depending on your total income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies