VRQ

Husband passed 2013 Rcvd 1099C cancel of credit card debt in 2016. What is an estate? Need to be sure he didn't have 1 as they wld be responsible for paying tax on income

This is a follow up question to previous question I asked.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I would do nothing.  

The 1099C is in your deceased husband's name, who had no assets at time of death.

You are not liable to enter this on your return as you no file a joint return with him, and it not your income. 

The 1099C is his name correct?  there was no money or property left to anyone?
VRQ

1099c is his name & SSN.  No one received any money or property.  Had $80 in his checkbook which was eaten up by bank fees.
VRQ

I know you said do nothing.  However, do I need to prove to the IRS that he had no assets and only debt at time of death.  The 1099C is for 2016 and is for credit card debt only in his name. I will be filing single for 2016 and I cannot file a 2016 return for a person who passed in 2013.   If I do nothing, will the IRS ever contact me regarding the 2016 1099C since it will never be on any return.  Last but not least, are his funeral expenses tax deductible -- any of them?  Thank you very much for your help.

If IRS would send a letter on the 1099C, you may have to send in a copy of the death certificate to them.  That would take care of that with IRS.  Funeral expenses are not deductible expenses.
VRQ

They already know he is deceased by his ssn, lol.  But, I can send the death certificate if they want it.  However, would they ask for proof that he had no assets since that is what matters???  We had a joint checking account, but it only had a couple of dollars in it.

I agree, they should know, but do not do anything.  Sending in a death certificate now will do no good.  Most likely you will never hear from IRS.

I would do nothing.