turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a bonus for the first time this year that was taxed at a higher amount than my regular salary, should i be getting a noticeably larger tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I received a bonus for the first time this year that was taxed at a higher amount than my regular salary, should i be getting a noticeably larger tax return?

That depends on what you mean by noticeable.  If you are in the 15% tax bracket, the withholding on the bonus (25%) would create a 10% difference.  How big was the bonus?
BobB7

But I'll bet the comparison is on the total % of paycheck w/h to gross pay vs the same for the bonus.  So it wouldn't be marginal to 25% it would be average to 25%

yes the bonus was taxed roughly 10% higher than my regular salary

the bonus was around $17k
BobB7

Basically, it could go either way.  Depending on how the bonus withholding percent compares to your marginal rate.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

POSSIBLY.

Very often employers will tax a bonus at a straight (higher) tax rate. This happens for different reasons, it might be easier for the payroll department, it allows for all the employees that get the same bonuses to see the same dollar amount on their checks, and it helps ensure that the employee won't be surprised by a larger-than-expected tax bill.

It is very difficult to determine if this will result in a higher refund for you since there are so many other factors to consider, but if you had a higher percentage of tax withheld because of this bonus, and you end up in a lower tax bracket when you file your taxes, chances are you will receive a larger refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies