turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toms1234

Where can I enter information in TurboTax for the VA funding fee that was charged when I purchased with a VA loan? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Where can I enter information in TurboTax for the VA funding fee that was charged when I purchased with a VA loan? Thank you.

[rev. 1/29/2018]

Updated for 2017 Taxes:

The VA funding fee is a type of mortgage insurance.  The deduction for mortgage insurance premiums, including the VA funding fee, expired at the end of 2016 and has not been renewed.   The deduction is not currently available for 2017 tax returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

[rev. 1/29/2018]

Updated for 2017 Taxes:

The VA funding fee is a type of mortgage insurance.  The deduction for mortgage insurance premiums, including the VA funding fee, expired at the end of 2016 and has not been renewed.   The deduction is not currently available for 2017 tax returns

toms1234

Thanks you very much for the response.. quick follow-on question.  
My 1098 does not include the VA funding fee in Box 5, but the funding fee is listed only in my Final Closing Statement.  Is it still okay to include the funding fee in the "Box 5" in turbo tax, even if it's not listed in Box 5 of my 1098?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can still include it.

I do not have a box 5 included on my turbo tax? Please advise.
cappy50

Hi - my box 5 is also missing on the page screenshotted above, please advise how to enter the VA Funding Fee. Thanks!

I do not have a box 5 included on my turbo tax either. I have found so many answers. Yes & No as to whether the VA Funding Fee is deductible. Can I deduct the VA Funding Fee if I refinanced in September 2017?

No box 5 for me either.  On the base Mortgage Deduction Summary" page, this year's version does not say "Insurance" like the screenshots above do.  Instead, they say property tax... where do I report my VA Funding Fee?...
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can no longer deduct the VA Funding Fee.

I just saw another TurboTax chat thread that said the VA Funding Fee was no longer accepted as a deduction for 2017.  Is this correct?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

That is correct.  The deduction expired at the end of 2016 and has not been renewed.   The deduction is not currently available for 2017 tax returns.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies