turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I lived in Spain teaching English for part of 2017, and made a combined income of about $9,000 during our time there. Do we have to pay tax on this income?

We both worked as ESL teachers for companies that pay taxes in Spain, but the companies do not provide a W-2 as they are based in Spain. We moved back to the US in July 2017, her total US income was $8,500 and I didn't start working until 2018. How do I declare these funds on my return, and is there a way to avoid having to pay on the $9,000 earned in Spain?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I lived in Spain teaching English for part of 2017, and made a combined income of about $9,000 during our time there. Do we have to pay tax on this income?

Yes, you will need to pay taxes on this income, the US taxes income earned worldwide by U.S. Citizens. There really is not a way to avoid paying taxes on the income earned.  If you paid taxes on the income in Spain, you can enter the information and possibly take a foreign tax credit. 

To enter the income you earned in Spain, you will do the following:

1. Click Federal
  2. Income and Expenses
  3. Scroll down and click Show More next to Less Common Income
  4. Click Start next to Foreign Income and Exclusion
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, you will need to pay taxes on this income, the US taxes income earned worldwide by U.S. Citizens. There really is not a way to avoid paying taxes on the income earned.  If you paid taxes on the income in Spain, you can enter the information and possibly take a foreign tax credit. 

To enter the income you earned in Spain, you will do the following:

1. Click Federal
  2. Income and Expenses
  3. Scroll down and click Show More next to Less Common Income
  4. Click Start next to Foreign Income and Exclusion
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for the thorough response!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies