Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SL1

If I included moving expenses and my student loan interest in my federal taxes, I don't add that when preparing my state taxes statement right?

Second question:
can i put the loans i was given towards my education in 2015?

Third question:
I had health insurance coverage through my mom in 2016, but was also covered through work. Do i include information from my 1095-C forms? And on my W2 do i put the info from the boxes in 12 that are regarding health coverage? Wasnt sure if i was supposed to since i was covered under my mom.

Fourth question:
Are there specific forms i need to upload when it comes to proving travel expenses, union dues, and vehicle registration?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I included moving expenses and my student loan interest in my federal taxes, I don't add that when preparing my state taxes statement right?

1)  The moving expense does not to be entered again on the State return as it will transfer from the Federal.  You do need to go through the State questions as it may ask about some income or expenses as sometimes the State treats things differently than the Federal. 

2)  You only enter amounts paid for education.  You do not enter loans anywhere in the program as loans are not income or deductible expense. 

3)  Under Health insurance you just enter that you are covered and that is all you have to do.

4)  These are considered Job-Related expenses.  You have to be able to itemize your deductions to claim this, so you have to exceed the standard deduction ($6,300 for single) and then it would have to exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross income to be an itemized deduction.

It would get entered under Federal Taxes

Deduction and Credits

Employment Expenses

to Job-Related Expenses. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

1)  The moving expense does not to be entered again on the State return as it will transfer from the Federal.  You do need to go through the State questions as it may ask about some income or expenses as sometimes the State treats things differently than the Federal. 

2)  You only enter amounts paid for education.  You do not enter loans anywhere in the program as loans are not income or deductible expense. 

3)  Under Health insurance you just enter that you are covered and that is all you have to do.

4)  These are considered Job-Related expenses.  You have to be able to itemize your deductions to claim this, so you have to exceed the standard deduction ($6,300 for single) and then it would have to exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross income to be an itemized deduction.

It would get entered under Federal Taxes

Deduction and Credits

Employment Expenses

to Job-Related Expenses. 

SL1

Thanks so much for the helpful responses!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies