Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do I have to pay more than double this year if I'm making about 50% more compared to last year?

I have a 1099 Misc, last year my income was $20K and I paid about $3800, this year is $33K and it tells me I owe $8000??? that's more than double! why is that????
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Why do I have to pay more than double this year if I'm making about 50% more compared to last year?

1099 income is expensive in terms of taxes.  You owe not only income tax on it, but also social security and medicare tax.

Your tax does not go up at the same rate as your income.  You only get to take the standard deduction and personal exemption one time, so as your income increases much more of it becomes taxable.  Last year, for example, if you are single you only had about $10,000 in taxable income.  This year, after deducting your standard deduction and exemption for claiming yourself, you have over $20,000 in taxable income, so the proportion of your taxable income more then doubled.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

1099 income is expensive in terms of taxes.  You owe not only income tax on it, but also social security and medicare tax.

Your tax does not go up at the same rate as your income.  You only get to take the standard deduction and personal exemption one time, so as your income increases much more of it becomes taxable.  Last year, for example, if you are single you only had about $10,000 in taxable income.  This year, after deducting your standard deduction and exemption for claiming yourself, you have over $20,000 in taxable income, so the proportion of your taxable income more then doubled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! I see.

It is a lot of money lol ...I'm trying different options, like... last year I didn't add any expenses, at all. I'm a designer and work from home, last year I didn't add my home office because I didn't want to deal with all the expenses and all that.

Right now I'm trying to add details about my home office, and the miles I have to drive to see clients (25mi a day total-at least). It makes a big difference in how much I have to pay 🙂
Anita01

Yes, it does, the higher your income gets, the more worthwhile it becomes to carefully track and deduct your expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies