turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my spouse get any allocations on the injured spouse form if he didn't work?

My spouse is unemployed and has defaulted student loans. What are his allocations on the injured spouse form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Does my spouse get any allocations on the injured spouse form if he didn't work?

His column should have nothing in it and you should put zero in the number of exemptions in his column.  The refund should be fully released if he had no income.

Filing jointly and e-file is the best option for fastest results and release.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I'm in the same predicament, yet the electronic form 8379 through turbo tax does not seem to corporate. I think I answered all question correctly, but on line 15 C on form 8379, my husband is still allocated half of the standard deduction. How do I fix this?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

His column should have nothing in it and you should put zero in the number of exemptions in his column.  The refund should be fully released if he had no income.

Filing jointly and e-file is the best option for fastest results and release.

Thank you so much!
ekblopez

Can you tell me if this worked?  I'm confused b/c I'm the same situation.  I filed jointly with my wife but she didn't work and owes on a student loan that she didn't know.  She had no income at all.  I'm confused.  The form says to split the numbers and to even split the number of deductions in half based on the standard deduction.  Does this mean that I enter in half of $12,600 under each of us for deductions or do I just leave everything blank under her section and just include all numbers under my column?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, only your column.  For more questions, it would be easier to track your answer, easier for us to help you if you post your question.
ekblopez

Thanks Diane.  I have posted a question but have yet to receive a response on this.  The link is <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3109542">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3109542</a>
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You will see your answer now - thank you for your patience.
philipnew

What about in community property states like Texas?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@philipnew Please post your question separately so that you can be alerted and track your answer.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com">https://ttlc.intuit.com</a>
zensun79

I am confused myself. I don't work but my husband does. How does part three suppose to look at the form?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies