Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pria25

It appears that gift tax law is applicable only if you gift property and assets? My gift is in the form of monthly remittance via checking account over a calendar year.

Schedule A part 4, nothing applies to me after line 4. So how can I calculate taxable gifts on line 11? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It appears that gift tax law is applicable only if you gift property and assets? My gift is in the form of monthly remittance via checking account over a calendar year.

Cash counts. You are allowed to give $15,000 per person for 2018. Anything over that amount is counted towards  federal estate tax.

If you make a taxable gift (one in excess of the annual exclusion), you must file Form 709: U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return. The return is required even if you don’t actually owe any gift tax because of the $5.49 million lifetime exemption. The return is due by April 15 of the year after you make the gift—the same deadline as Form 1040. If you extend your 1040 to October 15, the extended due date applies to your gift tax return too.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i709.pdf

pria25

Thanks, any ideas on how I can enter multiple dates on this form since I gifted on several dates spread throughout the year? Schedule A part 1 only has limited space for date of gift. Can I list1/18-12/18. Is that acceptable?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. It is a yearly gift amount.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies