Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I mail my federal return first and mail my state return later

I have two states return that I need to file, however, due to some reasons, I can file my federal and one of my two states right now, and need to wait for my second state return to be ready. Am I allow to file these returns in a separate time? Or should I wait until all returns are ready? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

Yes, you can definitely do that. If you'd like, I would recommend you e-file your federal return (to get your refund much faster) and e-file both states later. The reason is that if you pay taxes to one state, you may get credit from the other state for taxes paid. I've added instructions on how to e-file that IRS return now and return to the states later. 

A lot of people do that so they can use their federal refund to pay their state taxes.

As long as any amounts due are paid and the returns are sent by April 15th then you won't have any late filing penalties.

You can review the instructions below on how to e-file your federal and return to that state later:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3374295

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeeM

Yes, you can definitely do that. If you'd like, I would recommend you e-file your federal return (to get your refund much faster) and e-file both states later. The reason is that if you pay taxes to one state, you may get credit from the other state for taxes paid. I've added instructions on how to e-file that IRS return now and return to the states later. 

A lot of people do that so they can use their federal refund to pay their state taxes.

As long as any amounts due are paid and the returns are sent by April 15th then you won't have any late filing penalties.

You can review the instructions below on how to e-file your federal and return to that state later:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3374295

Thanks a lot for the detailed response! However, I have to mail in my returns, but again, thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies