Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

i4n3

I do not expect to owe anywhere near $1,000 in self employment taxes this year. I also have a part-time job in retail. Should I file/make quarterly tax payments?

I have a part time job in retail and receive a W2 each year. At this job, I earn about $500-$1,000 per month before taxes.

I am also an independent contractor for an internet-based service that is not required to send tax forms because they pay contractors via PayPal. I made less than $150 last quarter.

Am I required to make a quarterly payment for my self employment income? If so, do I also include the income information from my part time retail job, or just keep that separate and wait until the end of the year when I file my 1040 to include the part time job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I do not expect to owe anywhere near $1,000 in self employment taxes this year. I also have a part-time job in retail. Should I file/make quarterly tax payments?

If you are only going to earn $600 (150 per quarter) then you would not need to make quarterly payments as your Self-Employment tax on that would be less than $95. If you start making more than yes, you would include the income from your Part-Time job when calculating the taxes you may owe for the year.  You would then deduct the amount your employer withheld for the quarter when figuring out how much you would need to pay. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are only going to earn $600 (150 per quarter) then you would not need to make quarterly payments as your Self-Employment tax on that would be less than $95. If you start making more than yes, you would include the income from your Part-Time job when calculating the taxes you may owe for the year.  You would then deduct the amount your employer withheld for the quarter when figuring out how much you would need to pay. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
i4n3

Thank you Vanessa! This fully answers my question, and I really appreciate your help with a (probably) extremely basic issue.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies