turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skmmeyer3

My husband adopted both my kids, will I check the option when it asks if the child is adopted? I am not sure because my kids have always lived with me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

My husband adopted both my kids, will I check the option when it asks if the child is adopted? I am not sure because my kids have always lived with me.

You select that they are your children when filing as Married Filing Jointly and do not select being adopted.

skmmeyer3

Wouldn't I want to select that my u
Husband and I are both legal parents since he adopted them? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. He adopted them in April of 2016

His adoption of your children is not a factor when claiming the children as dependents.  They are your biological children and there is no need to indicate that there was an adoption when claiming them as dependents.  Filing jointly they are both yours and your husbands children.
skmmeyer3

Thank you. So to clarify, when it asked who the legal parent is, would i put just me or my husband and I?
skmmeyer3

Also, it is saying there is duplicated SSN listed. Is this because no changed my kids last name ? There SSN cards have their last names updated. How can I correct this

Both.  You and your husband.

You enter the names as shown on the current Social Security cards for the children, you and for your husband along with the Social Security numbers shown on the cards.
If the program is giving you an error for someone claimed as a dependent on your tax return and the information entered is correct, the go ahead and delete that dependent and then re-enter them again.
skmmeyer3

Thank you so much. I will try that
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies