turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chaschen

I was legally separated in 2018 in Ohio. I selected Single as my filing status, wife selected Married Filing Separately which rejects my tax return. Who's correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I was legally separated in 2018 in Ohio. I selected Single as my filing status, wife selected Married Filing Separately which rejects my tax return. Who's correct?

If you received a legal separation (with court paperwork), then you are correct.  If you are living separated without court paperwork, she is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you received a legal separation (with court paperwork), then you are correct.  If you are living separated without court paperwork, she is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chaschen

Thank you so much for the really fast answer! Yes, I have court documentation but worried since she had her taxes done by a CPA. I did mine with TurboTax. Problem is that I can't e-file since she submitted before me and somehow my SS number is on her return. I don't get it since you don't need spouse information with Married Filing Separately

Legal separation does not end the marriage  so you are considered married until that time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies