turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

veeluna

Still waiting for an answer. I will be e-filing, I am owed a refund. However, due to 1099R, I owe additional taxes. Taxes arent being deducted. Due I have to mail them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Still waiting for an answer. I will be e-filing, I am owed a refund. However, due to 1099R, I owe additional taxes. Taxes arent being deducted. Due I have to mail them?

Oh, so it was this....

It lists the 10% early withdrawal penalty separately on your return.  It's on 1040 line 59. Then you will get credit for the withholding on line 64.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I looked at your other questions.  Why didn't the answers help?  Your refund is after all the income has been entered.  Why do you think the 1099R isn't included?  See if this makes sense to you.  This is for a 2016 1099R?  Or do you owe tax for a prior year?

You didn't actually pay the tax or 10% penalty (you pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under 59 ½).  You had taxes withheld like from your paycheck. You still have to enter the whole amount (before taxes were withheld) with your other income to figure out the total tax (and it may put you into a higher tax bracket)  and then the withholding is subtracted from the total tax to figure your refund or tax due.  The withholding will show up on 1040 line 64 or 1040A line 40.  The 10% penalty is on 1040 line 59.
veeluna

Thank you! Now, I understand.

Oh, so it was this....

It lists the 10% early withdrawal penalty separately on your return.  It's on 1040 line 59. Then you will get credit for the withholding on line 64.

veeluna

Yes. You simplified it for me.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies