turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

icon1770

Why does it say I can still E-File on the Turbo Tax Filing instruction page but it wont let me

Why does the first page that my Turbo Tax prints out with the instructions of how to file say I can still E-File but the program wont let me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Why does it say I can still E-File on the Turbo Tax Filing instruction page but it wont let me

The IRS has shut down e-filing in order to prepare for the new tax season.

Are you working on a 2015 tax return or 2016?

TurboTax will no longer allow you to e-file a 2015 tax return. You have to print it and file by mail. I think the instructions still talk about e-filing because they just don't bother updating the software after the filing season.

It's too soon to e-file a 2016 tax return. The IRS will start processing 2016 tax returns on January 23. TurboTax will let you "e-file" starting in early January, but the return isn't really filed. TurboTax holds it until the IRS starts processing returns.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS has shut down e-filing in order to prepare for the new tax season.

Are you working on a 2015 tax return or 2016?

TurboTax will no longer allow you to e-file a 2015 tax return. You have to print it and file by mail. I think the instructions still talk about e-filing because they just don't bother updating the software after the filing season.

It's too soon to e-file a 2016 tax return. The IRS will start processing 2016 tax returns on January 23. TurboTax will let you "e-file" starting in early January, but the return isn't really filed. TurboTax holds it until the IRS starts processing returns.

icon1770

Thank you!!! It never occurred to me that laziness by Turbo Tax may be the problem.  Cheers
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies