turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coco_liu

How to transfer online return to software on desktop? My online return is not completed and paid. I purchase a deluxe from amazon and want to use the desktop version.

No Tool in my account tab. Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to transfer online return to software on desktop? My online return is not completed and paid. I purchase a deluxe from amazon and want to use the desktop version.

***If you aren't seeing the Tools tab but are seeing the My Account, then you have to click Take Me to My Return after you log into your account and then the Tools option will appear under My Account.***

Here are the rest of the full instructions 

After you have the 2016 online return started, follow the steps below to transfer to desktop -

1. Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return (you must click this before proceeding or you won’t get the Tools menu)
  2. In the blue banner at the top, click on My Account and select Tools from the dropdown menu
  3. In the small box that populates, click on Save your 2016 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
  4. This will download a .tax2016 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
  5. Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven't done so already, install TurboTax 2016 CD/Download and install any updates. Windows | Mac
  6. Important:  If you Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return.  You can install states by going to:  for Windows, the menu item Online (next to help) > Download State and, for Mac, the menu item TurboTax (next to your Apple Icon) > Download State.
  7. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
  8. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
  9. Choose File > Save.
  10. (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.  Note:  This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours.

Now, you should have your 2016 return on your computer and can continue to use the desktop software program to finish your return. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

***If you aren't seeing the Tools tab but are seeing the My Account, then you have to click Take Me to My Return after you log into your account and then the Tools option will appear under My Account.***

Here are the rest of the full instructions 

After you have the 2016 online return started, follow the steps below to transfer to desktop -

1. Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return (you must click this before proceeding or you won’t get the Tools menu)
  2. In the blue banner at the top, click on My Account and select Tools from the dropdown menu
  3. In the small box that populates, click on Save your 2016 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
  4. This will download a .tax2016 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
  5. Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven't done so already, install TurboTax 2016 CD/Download and install any updates. Windows | Mac
  6. Important:  If you Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return.  You can install states by going to:  for Windows, the menu item Online (next to help) > Download State and, for Mac, the menu item TurboTax (next to your Apple Icon) > Download State.
  7. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
  8. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
  9. Choose File > Save.
  10. (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.  Note:  This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours.

Now, you should have your 2016 return on your computer and can continue to use the desktop software program to finish your return. 
coco_liu

Thank you for your response. That works.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies