Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maoweidou

I am in F-1 visa using my OPT now. I didn't find the system asking if I am a resident or not. Therefore, I wonder if the calculation was correct or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am in F-1 visa using my OPT now. I didn't find the system asking if I am a resident or not. Therefore, I wonder if the calculation was correct or not.

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

In your situation, you are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016 filing a Form 1040NR.  Starting from 01/01/2017, you will start counting your days.  If you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2017, you will be considered a US resident for tax purposes and file a Form 1040 for your tax year of 2017.

With that being said, for tax year of 2016, you will need to file a Form 1040-NR and TurboTax does not support any of the nonresident tax forms.  You are advised to use Sprintax, our partner to complete your filing. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

when was the first year you entered US with the visa ?
maoweidou

I entered US in August 2012.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

See answer below.
maoweidou

Thank you for your helpful information and advice.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are very welcome !
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

In your situation, you are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016 filing a Form 1040NR.  Starting from 01/01/2017, you will start counting your days.  If you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2017, you will be considered a US resident for tax purposes and file a Form 1040 for your tax year of 2017.

With that being said, for tax year of 2016, you will need to file a Form 1040-NR and TurboTax does not support any of the nonresident tax forms.  You are advised to use Sprintax, our partner to complete your filing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies