turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What am I being charged to file my return in Tennessee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

Manage cookies