turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes

I filed my 2020 taxes how can I file 2019

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GP70
Level 3

Taxes

You will have to prepare your 2019 return, print it out and mail it to the IRS.  The IRS does not accept e-file returns for prior years.  Be sure you attach to the front of the return your W-2s and any other tax forms if tax was withheld on the form.  If you owe tax, make your payment when you mail your return to  keep further penalties and interest from being imposed by the IRS.  Mail your return to the IRS location assigned to your state.

Due to the Covid-19 shutdown in 2020, the IRS still has a large backlog for mail in returns so expect a long delay on the processing of your 2019 return.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Taxes

If you started but didn't finish filing your 2019 income tax return in TurboTax, see How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

If you haven't started filing your 2019 income tax return in TurboTax, see How do I prepare a 2019, 2018, or 2017 tax return?

Per IRS: If you haven’t filed your federal income tax return for this year or for previous years, you should file your return as soon as possible regardless of your reason for not filing the required return. 

If your return wasn't filed by the due date (including extensions of time to file):

• You may be subject to the failure-to-file penalty, unless you have reasonable cause for your failure to file timely.
  • Tax not paid in full by the original due date of the return (regardless of extensions of time to file) may also result in the failure-to-pay penalty. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies