Solved: Tax Rate For Jury Pay

Clifford308

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

I entered $15 for jury pay and it immediately raised Federal tax due by $11. This is way higher than anyone's tax bracket, much less mine. What went wrong?

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

That's  possible.  You may have been right at the line for the next Tax.  That happened to me once.  I added only $6 of interest and the tax due went up $12!

Look up your taxable income in the tables and see how the tax jumps.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf 

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

Clifford308

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

What I heard is that going to a higher tax bracket does not affect all income, but only the part of the income that goes over the threshold is taxed at the higher rate. So just barely crossing into a new tax bracket would not account for such a large change in federal tax due.

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

Not from the tax bracket.  Look at the actual Tax Table I linked.  Find your taxable income (before) and see what happens when you add $11.  It may push you over the line.

Clifford308

Tax Rate For Jury Pay

I can see your point now from the tax table you linked. It looks like tax is determined by income in $50 increments. For a single person with an income in the range of $39,500 to $64,100, crossing a $50 boundary by as little as $1 will cause Federal tax due to increase by $11.