Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

tax question

This is my first year filing for taxes. I didnt know u had to have both of your W2's before filing. I did my first job awhile ago and i got my second one today but it wont let me add another W2. what do i do?

2 Replies
Level 15

tax question

Did you already actually file?  

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox


Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return after they open on Jan 27.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.


If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.  If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.


Post back after the IRS accepts the return for amending instructions.

Level 15

tax question

SO sorry to hear that.   


Note for future years,...never file until sometime in mid-late Feb.  You need ALL of your tax forms before filing.


You cannot do anything until the IRS actually attempts to process your tax file.  Since you filed so early, they are not expected to "start" processing files until the week of 27 Jan  (though they pull some test files early).


1) If they "Reject" your e-filed can "Edit" in your data and re-efile.  But don't do so until mid-late Feb, in case you get some more tax documents (bank interest?  Dividends?  Investment distributions?).  you DO NOT AMEND in this situation, you just edit your tax file and re-submit.  (state taxes are not transmitted if the IRS rejects your file)


2) If the IRS "Accepts" your tax file, then sometime in late Feb..AFTER you receive the original refund, or pay the original Balance Due for that original will then AMEND your tax return to include any and all data you missed the first time.  Make sure you print out your original tax forms first.   after you are done "Amending", you are required to print out your amended tax return, and take them to the post office mail in to the IRS.  (make sure you keep a paper copy).    Use a tracking method at the Post Office counter.  Your State forms will have to be amended to...those go to a separate address.


Just log back into your tax account once or twice a week to check your filing rush at this point.




____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies