Stuck in File => Payment page (with How Do You Want to Pay? title) after selecting Continue with out clicking Add Audit Defense button. I don't want to pay $44.95.

I bought TurboTax 2018 at Costco and provided that information at the beginning of creating my return on Turbo Tax.  I am stuck in a page that requires me to pay $44.95, even though I did not click the "Add Audit Defense" button on the previous page.  I should not be asked to pay anything beyond what I paid for my Turbo Tax purchase.

That is to pay the 24.99 state efile fee.  There is an EXTRA 44.99 to deduct the 24.99 from your federal refund.  So click on pay with credit card.  Or you can print and mail state for free.  Read the whole screen close!

You must be in California.  To have the state efile fee deducted from your federal refund in California you have to add the 44.99  Premium which includes Audit Defense.  Other states it's only 39.99.

In the Desktop program it is currently 24.99 to efile EACH state return including the first one.  What you got for free was one state program download to prepare unlimited state returns.