directors2019

Started receiving alimony in 2018, but the first check, although dated Jan 1, was actually paid and deposited 29 Dec 2017, so do I have to claim it as income for 2018?

Since the first check was actually paid and deposited in 2017, does the payment for tax purposes go by the date and year of payment (2017) or the date of the check for the year (2018) it is allocated towards?  A joint return was filed for 2017 and the decree finalized in 2018 to make the divorce official.

Vanessa

The payment goes for the year made/received.  So, technically, it would be claimed in 2017. If you filed a joint return for 2017, it would be hard to report an alimony payment made and received on the same return.

Vanessa

directors2019

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, the payment is technically not considered taxable income to me for my 2018 tax return, correct?
Vanessa

correct.  
directors2019

Thank you!
On another issue: since I have to make estimated tax payments due to receiving alimony, can I submit a new W4 to my employer to have 0 (zero) taxes withheld for Fed and state so I can pay all my tax liability via my estimated payments?