• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
directors2019

Started receiving alimony in 2018, but the first check, although dated Jan 1, was actually paid and deposited 29 Dec 2017, so do I have to claim it as income for 2018?

Since the first check was actually paid and deposited in 2017, does the payment for tax purposes go by the date and year of payment (2017) or the date of the check for the year (2018) it is allocated towards?  A joint return was filed for 2017 and the decree finalized in 2018 to make the divorce official.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa
Level 3

Started receiving alimony in 2018, but the first check, although dated Jan 1, was actually paid and deposited 29 Dec 2017, so do I have to claim it as income for 2018?

The payment goes for the year made/received.  So, technically, it would be claimed in 2017. If you filed a joint return for 2017, it would be hard to report an alimony payment made and received on the same return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa
Level 3

The payment goes for the year made/received.  So, technically, it would be claimed in 2017. If you filed a joint return for 2017, it would be hard to report an alimony payment made and received on the same return.

directors2019

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, the payment is technically not considered taxable income to me for my 2018 tax return, correct?
Vanessa
Level 3

correct.  
directors2019

Thank you!
On another issue: since I have to make estimated tax payments due to receiving alimony, can I submit a new W4 to my employer to have 0 (zero) taxes withheld for Fed and state so I can pay all my tax liability via my estimated payments?
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v