turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got advice on how to enter last years tax estimate. I am due a refund but the State is applying the entire amount to this year. How do I stop it from happening?

Hawaii is my State
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChelseaS

I got advice on how to enter last years tax estimate. I am due a refund but the State is applying the entire amount to this year. How do I stop it from happening?

Start or edit your Hawaii return. Continue through the return until you come to the page, "Apply refund to 2017 Hawaii Estimated Taxes" select Yes and the next page will ask you how much you want to apply (screenshot attached). To stop this from happening remove the amount in this box and continue through the return.

Go back through the return one more time. Now, select No on the page "Apply refund to 2017 Hawaii Estimated Taxes" You should now be able to see your entire refund amount in the TurboTax State Refund Meter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChelseaS

Start or edit your Hawaii return. Continue through the return until you come to the page, "Apply refund to 2017 Hawaii Estimated Taxes" select Yes and the next page will ask you how much you want to apply (screenshot attached). To stop this from happening remove the amount in this box and continue through the return.

Go back through the return one more time. Now, select No on the page "Apply refund to 2017 Hawaii Estimated Taxes" You should now be able to see your entire refund amount in the TurboTax State Refund Meter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies