Curiousgeorge26

SSI and SSA and Michigan Home Heat Credit

My only income  is from ssi and ssa total of $803 a month, i do not think i have to file taxes if I am not mistaken, however I do have $944 in a IRA account that I have not touched, it has just been sitting there for a couple years now, basically my question is this IRA was reported in my 2018 taxes when I was working, do I need to report this again for 2019?  Also can I go thru the process of "doing" my taxes with turbotax if I do not have any W-2s so i can get to the home heat credit portion since I am not sure how to fill out the form on my own.  Thank you

Why did you report the IRA last Year?  Did you get a 1099R for it?  You only need to report distributions of rollovers.  How old are you?  If you are 70 1/2 you need to take out the RMD required minimum distribution each year.

Curiousgeorge26

Ty for responding VolvoGirl, I am 41, and yes it was rolled over from a previous job 401k, and I did get a 1099r form but it did not seem to make any difference regarding my taxes since I guess it was just a traditional IRA and had not been touched.

So it doesn't sound like you need to report it again.  Not until you take it out.  The rollover was not taxable.  You don't pay the tax until you actually take it out.

Curiousgeorge26

Yes I figured, I guess my main concern was doing the michigan Home heat credit part since I paid $466 last year, and  I remember when I did my taxes last year turbotax helped me by calculating everything and giving me $320 to be applied to my heating company.  But since I do not have any w-2s this year I am basically trying to figure out if I can go thru the motions thru turbotax to get to that form so it can calculate everything.