turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my daughters husband who is military claim her on his taxes. She was married and moved out in end of aug 2017

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my daughters husband who is military claim her on his taxes. She was married and moved out in end of aug 2017

Spouse's cannot be claimed as dependents.  If they were legally married and lived together at any time during the last six months of the year then they can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.   Your daughter has to give her permission to file as Married Filing Jointly 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Spouse's cannot be claimed as dependents.  If they were legally married and lived together at any time during the last six months of the year then they can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.   Your daughter has to give her permission to file as Married Filing Jointly 

Thank you
Hal_Al
Level 15

Is your real question: can you still claim her as a dependent, now that she is married?

Yes, if the other dependent rules are met and she and her husband agree to let you. If they do, her new husband is required to file as Married Filing Separately, which always results in more taxes for him.

For details, see a similar question at https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2938663-can-i-claim-my-daughter-who-got-married-on-december-19th-2...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies