Spousal payment received after tax

Spousal payment received after tax

My ex has to pay me 25% of his annual bonus in our spousal agreement. The payment should be gross and I declare it on my tax return. He paid me net. He is a higher rate tax payer and I am not so the tax paid on my bonus payment was way higher than it should have been for myself. Where on turbo tax do i enter this amount and the amount of tax i already paid

Spousal payment received after tax

If this was an alimony agreement executed on or before December 31, 2018, then it is deductible to him and taxable to you. You would enter the amount of money you actually received from him in the alimony section on the income page. Don’t make any allowances for whatever tax you think he might or might not have paid, just report the actual cash money amount that he paid you.

If this alimony agreement was executed on or after January 1, 2019, then it is not deductible income to him nor is it taxable income to you. However much he sent you, you don’t report it.

If you think he sent an incorrect amount, you will have to take that up with the divorce court.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

Spousal payment received after tax

did you get any reporting form?       if not. I don't see how you can claim taxes he withheld(?) for you. you'll need to ask him how he reported these taxes(?) to the IRS on your behalf.   if he didn't see a lawyer.   without reporting withholding he would only be able to deduct the net paid and that's all you would report as income.    by the way, if the divorce or separation agreement was entered into after 2018.  it Is not taxable to you and not deductible by him.