turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1986Mike

Sports Card Sales

I collect sports cards that I have purchased off Ebay. Sometimes I purchase raw cards which are ungraded and send them to one of the grading agencies which adds value to the card and pay a fee per card for the grading service. Other cards are already graded. Periodically, I will send these cards to a storage vault or consignment service where I can store the cards and sell them. I am aware in 2022 that I will probably receive a 1099 for any sales but how will these sales be treated from a tax perspective. I am not a business and entered collecting for the fun. Am I able to deduct the original cost of the card off Ebay which included shipping and sales tax, any storage fees, grading costs, and fees incurred when I sell the card through the vault or consignment company? In some cases, when all these are added up along with a reduction in value in the card market this year the sales price may not recover the original cost of the card and would actually result in a loss. What forms will capture the cost side to offset the income reported.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sports Card Sales

Sounds like you are engaged in a hobby as opposed to a business. In that case you have to report any income but unfortunately cannot deduct any expenses. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies