Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rames

I've been asked for my YTD salary and pay period for 2017. I've never been asked that before. Why I am being asked that this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I've been asked for my YTD salary and pay period for 2017. I've never been asked that before. Why I am being asked that this year?

Sounds like you are in an optional withholding and/or estimated tax planning dialogue. Some taxpayers will be getting a rather large refund in April rather than a modestly larger paycheck during the year. For some this is a conscious decision of forced savings and they can skip over/out of this dialogue.  Others, however, may well want to adjust their W-4 entries to avoid giving the government such a large interest-free loan.

The other class of taxpayers who might want to adjust their withholding are those with significant income outside their paychecks such as interest and dividends.  They are subject to possible underpayment penalties and/or interest unless they pay more tax throughout the year via W-4 withholding or separate 1040-ES estimated tax payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies