turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leximax

Under the new tax law, would it be possible to exclude relocation reimbursement from income or put in W2-12d as P-code if I incurred it in 2017 but received in Feb-2018?

I have recently filed 2017 taxes and received my refund. There, I'd some qualified excludable moving expenses under W-2 column 12d (code P). However, I had not submitted all of relocation expenses that I incurred during year 2017 due to the fact that most of receipt were for Dec-2017. Towards the same, I will be getting additional reimbursement sometime next month. Given the new tax law eliminates "excludable moving expense", I will be now taxed for that remaining relocation reimbursement and it will be not be considered excludable. I like to know if I can amend 2017 tax form or request in 2018 taxes to consider remaining reimbursement I receive this month as tax-excludable given it was for year 2017 or there is no way to exclude it as I was paid in year 2018? Deduction is of little value as I take standard deduction! 

Thanks!

Lexi

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Under the new tax law, would it be possible to exclude relocation reimbursement from income or put in W2-12d as P-code if I incurred it in 2017 but received in Feb-2018?

No, there would be no way to make the reimbursement excludeable in 2017, since you did not receive it until 2018.  The only option for you would be to take the deduction in 2017.  This deduction goes on line 26 of your 1040 and decreases your Adjusted Gross Income.  You can take it whether you itemize or not.  I would advise you to take any moving expense for which you expect to be reimbursed as an expense in 2017.  Worst that can happen is the tax law is changed to allow moving reimbursements to be tax free in 2018.

Instructions to amend 2017

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed#

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

No, there would be no way to make the reimbursement excludeable in 2017, since you did not receive it until 2018.  The only option for you would be to take the deduction in 2017.  This deduction goes on line 26 of your 1040 and decreases your Adjusted Gross Income.  You can take it whether you itemize or not.  I would advise you to take any moving expense for which you expect to be reimbursed as an expense in 2017.  Worst that can happen is the tax law is changed to allow moving reimbursements to be tax free in 2018.

Instructions to amend 2017

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed#

leximax

Thanks for details and about deduction which can lower my AGI. In that case, should I file amended 2017 1040 return, and add qualified (but yet to reimbursed in 2018) relocation expenses on line 26 under deductions or file under 2018 return next year?
leximax

Sorry! Your answer already states so to take deduction in 2017. In that case, I will file amended 2017 return. Thanks again for details.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies