turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgrc1971

How can I find out if someone claimed my children on their taxes when I do not file taxes because I am on SSD and SSI?

I need to know because my ex husband owes alot in back child support so his taxes is supposed to be red flagged but the child support office says they have not received anything from his taxes.  I believe he has had someone else to claim them so he wouldn't have to give up the EIC.  There should be some way to find out something?.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How can I find out if someone claimed my children on their taxes when I do not file taxes because I am on SSD and SSI?

Sorry you can't.  The IRS won't even tell you.

rgrc1971

It should be a federal crime and the government should make a way for the person whom has custody of their children and all their information to put their social security number in a database and see if they were claimed.

you may always file a tax return e-Filed if TurboTax permits, or on paper, listing your dependents, even if your income is small or not taxable (ie Social Security). Another person then cannot claim your dependents without having the IRS investigate.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies