turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snoconan

When applying for health insurance, do I put that I'm filing a tax return next year or not?

I'm applying for health insurance on healthcare.gov, and one of the questions it asks me is, "Do you plan to file a federal income tax return for 2018? Select yes if you'll file a tax return and no one else claims you as a tax dependent."

I wanted to put yes, but my mom will claim me as a dependent. So what should I put for that question? I don't want to give the wrong tax information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When applying for health insurance, do I put that I'm filing a tax return next year or not?

Sorry No.  Because you are over 24 you are no longer a qualifying child so you have to meet the Qualifying Relative rules
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent

View solution in original post

10 Replies

If you've accurately quoted the site's question, then since your mother is claiming you as a dependent you should answer "No".

I assume that you've asked this question because you actually WILL BE filing an income tax return as you have some income to report and it just seems counter intuitive to answer "No".

If you are going to be claimed as a dependent then the person claiming you needs to get you insurance ... so you are probably being told now that you don't qualify for ACA insurance.
snoconan

Tom Young, yes I will be filing an income tax return and yes, it is counter intuitive to put no. That's why I'm not sure what to put. If I put no, and the IRS sees that I did file a tax return, I don't know what will happen.

Critter #2, my mom has Medicare. I make my own money and I do qualify for marketplace plans, but I'm still considered dependent on my mom.

If you make your own money your mom might not be able to claim you as a dependent on her return.  Depends on your age, how much you make for the whole year and if you are a full time student.
snoconan

Volvo Girl, I'm not a full time student, I'm over 24, I make much less than my mom, she contributes more support than I do, and I live with her.

But if you make $4,050 or more for the whole year then she CAN NOT claim you anymore.  Yes, it's a low amount.
snoconan

Even though she pays for mostly everything (bills, property taxes, etc.) and I live with her, she can't claim me as a dependent?

Sorry No.  Because you are over 24 you are no longer a qualifying child so you have to meet the Qualifying Relative rules
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent
snoconan

Got it, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Better let her know so she doesn't claim you on her return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies