• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ethel4spivey0

Son is 19 then graduate high school. Turbo tax would not allow me to claim him. He made $0.00 for same year.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Son is 19 then graduate high school. Turbo tax would not allow me to claim him. He made $0.00 for same year.

You may have entered or missed an entry in TurboTax. 

In the My Info section, please make sure:

1. On the Do you have children or support someone? screen, answer Yes.
  2. On the Who Do You Support? screen, answer one of the first two options.
  3. On the Tell Us About Your Child screen, verify the birth date and citizenship status.
  4. On the How many months did XXX live with you in 2017 screen, select The Whole Year or the right number of months lived with you
  5. On the We know XXX is a baby/child, but we have to ask: Did (s)he pay for most of his/her living expenses? answer No. 
  6. Make sure you enter that he was a full-time student in 2017 even though he graduated in 2017. Since he was in school for part of 2017 and is 19 years old, he qualifies as a student.
  7. Continue with the onscreen questions.
  8. Go to the end of the dependent entry section of TurboTax.

Related Information:  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

You may have entered or missed an entry in TurboTax. 

In the My Info section, please make sure:

1. On the Do you have children or support someone? screen, answer Yes.
  2. On the Who Do You Support? screen, answer one of the first two options.
  3. On the Tell Us About Your Child screen, verify the birth date and citizenship status.
  4. On the How many months did XXX live with you in 2017 screen, select The Whole Year or the right number of months lived with you
  5. On the We know XXX is a baby/child, but we have to ask: Did (s)he pay for most of his/her living expenses? answer No. 
  6. Make sure you enter that he was a full-time student in 2017 even though he graduated in 2017. Since he was in school for part of 2017 and is 19 years old, he qualifies as a student.
  7. Continue with the onscreen questions.
  8. Go to the end of the dependent entry section of TurboTax.

Related Information:  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v