turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Something doesn't seem right. I entered a W2 and it said I'd get a refund of $115. Then entered my 1099-MISC, for which I'd owe $499, but balance due became $1200+!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Something doesn't seem right. I entered a W2 and it said I'd get a refund of $115. Then entered my 1099-MISC, for which I'd owe $499, but balance due became $1200+!

It depends on how much your 1099-MISC was for. If your 1099-MISC showed income in box 7, it's subject to not only income tax but self-employment tax, which is the equivalent of the FICA that gets withheld from your wages.

For 2017, the Self Employment Tax rate was 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for MedicareYou can claim 50% of what you pay in self-employment tax as an income tax deduction, which TurboTax computes automatically. 

See this for more information on Self Employment Tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

It depends on how much your 1099-MISC was for. If your 1099-MISC showed income in box 7, it's subject to not only income tax but self-employment tax, which is the equivalent of the FICA that gets withheld from your wages.

For 2017, the Self Employment Tax rate was 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for MedicareYou can claim 50% of what you pay in self-employment tax as an income tax deduction, which TurboTax computes automatically. 

See this for more information on Self Employment Tax.

Thank you, this really helped me understand what I was facing. I’m just a little shocked, as it’s my first time doing this side gig, and now 38% of what I earned isn’t mine. :(
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I understand that completely!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies