turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

survand

My tax return amount is smaller than that of my tax breaks. Just confused how it all works. Example,My total breaks equal over 7 and im only getting 4 in return?you rock!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My tax return amount is smaller than that of my tax breaks. Just confused how it all works. Example,My total breaks equal over 7 and im only getting 4 in return?you rock!

Some "Tax Breaks" are deductions from income, before the taxes are calculated.

Others are tax credits. But some of those are not refundable, so do not benefit your once your tax liability is down to zero.  I call the latter "Empty Calories."

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

YOu need to be more specific. As an example of one thing many folks get confused on, lets talk about the dependent exemption. YOu get a $4,050 exemption for each qualified dependent you claim on your tax return. That does NOT mean the IRS will give you $4,050 for each qualified dependent you claim. IT means that $4,050 of your earned income is not taxed, for each qualified dependent that you claim.

Some "Tax Breaks" are deductions from income, before the taxes are calculated.

Others are tax credits. But some of those are not refundable, so do not benefit your once your tax liability is down to zero.  I call the latter "Empty Calories."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies