turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Thewardssince2013
Returning Member

What's the difference between doing it online and purchasing the program at target? My husband is W-2's and this is my first year being self-employed. What do I need?

Which items do I need for being self-employed? Which program would work best for my husband's W-2's and my self-employment. This is my first year I'm filing as self-employed. Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What's the difference between doing it online and purchasing the program at target? My husband is W-2's and this is my first year being self-employed. What do I need?

Some advantages of the Desktop CD/Download program over the Online version,  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...>

All the Desktop versions have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  You just get more help in the higher versions.

And the Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 Federal for free.
You can see and enter directly into the actual forms.
There is a What-If worksheet.

The Online web version is different than the Desktop CD/Download program you install.  The pricing structure is totally different.  

Online you pay to prepare the return whether you efile or print and mail.  Efiling is free and included in all versions.  And state is a Separate Additional charge in ALL Online versions including the federal Free Edition.   Oh and Online is only good for 1 Account and 1 return.  In the Online versions you have to use a higher versions to enter certain types of income like investments and self employment.  Online you can’t see the actual forms like the Desktop program.  

BUT  I see you are posting from an older Mac.  You will have to use the Online version. Or update your Mac or find another computer.  Mac System Requirements     
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899173-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software">htt...>
JulieCo

For being self-employed, if you have business expenses to deduct from your self-employed business income, then you will want to use either TurboTax Self-Employed (online) or TurboTax Home & Business (CD/Download).  These two versions have the same features, but one is an online version of the software, whereas the other is a CD/Download version.  Both versions will also allow for the input of a W-2 income as well. 

Below are links to more product information:

TurboTax Online Self Employed

TurboTax Download - Home & Business Edition

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies