Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katieL

Solar panels partially paid in 2017, will be fully paid and operational in 2018 - do I enter anything for this on my 2017 taxes, or all for 2018?

I started working with a solar company in summer 2017 to purchase solar panels for my primary residence. I was approved for a loan for the full amount of the project and received the first loan installment (about ? of the total cost) in November. The panels were installed in December, but they still (in Jan 2018) have not been interconnected with the electric company because it was discovered I need a new meter. So the system is not operational, and I have not received the last ? of the loan nor - as a result - paid the company the last ? of the cost.

Do I claim anything on my 2017 taxes? All on my 2017 taxes? Some on 2018? All on 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Solar panels partially paid in 2017, will be fully paid and operational in 2018 - do I enter anything for this on my 2017 taxes, or all for 2018?

All in 2018.

The full amount can be used once the installation is completed.  Until the new meter is installed, it doesn't seem to be completed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies