turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

David-P

"Clergy Self-Employment": Which option should I choose if my church withheld federal income taxes on my W-2? I receive a housing allowance, but is not included on my W-2.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"Clergy Self-Employment": Which option should I choose if my church withheld federal income taxes on my W-2? I receive a housing allowance, but is not included on my W-2.

So that's no problem.  Enter the W-2 as is, check the box on the page of special circumstances for religious wages.  Check the box for pay SE tax on wages and housing allowance, enter the amount of the allowance and your qualified expenses.  You pay SE tax on wages plus housing allowance, and you pay income tax on wages only.  You will get credit for the withholding, and will either owe more tax or get a refund, depending on your other tax situations.  If you made additional estimated tax payments, record them on the Deductions page under "Estimates and other taxes paid."

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did the church withhold income taxes (box 2) or also social security and medicare taxes (box 4 and 6)?

And you are a clergy member hired to perform religious duties (lead worship, perform sacraments, etc.)?
David-P

Yes, I am a clergy member and the church withheld funds in box 2 only.

So that's no problem.  Enter the W-2 as is, check the box on the page of special circumstances for religious wages.  Check the box for pay SE tax on wages and housing allowance, enter the amount of the allowance and your qualified expenses.  You pay SE tax on wages plus housing allowance, and you pay income tax on wages only.  You will get credit for the withholding, and will either owe more tax or get a refund, depending on your other tax situations.  If you made additional estimated tax payments, record them on the Deductions page under "Estimates and other taxes paid."

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies