danielle17-

So me and my boyfriend have a child I the mother claim him as my dependent the father does a tax credit for him but I was told by the irs this year we both cant have his social security on both for

Forms but I'm claiming him and my boyfriend isn't so

If you and he are both living in the same household, then only one of you can claim the child as a dependent on their tax return.  The other person does not enter the child at all on their tax return.

If all of you live together then only ONE of you can claim the child on your tax return.  So if you already claimed the child, BF has to take the child off his return.  The ONE who is claiming the child gets all the child-related credits on their return.  How or if  you share that between you is up to you when you get your refund.

If one of you earned a lot more than the other then that is usually who should claim the child.  The one who claims the child can also file as Head of Household if they pay over half the costs of the household.